Current and Future Strategies for Sustaining Public Media Education Services
Tuesday, May 12 | 3-4:30pm ET
The COVID-19 Pandemic creates the need – and opportunity – for public media to play a role in education like never before. This webinar will focus on strategies for local stations to serve their local schools with remote learning – and tap into the $13.5 billion in CARES Act funds to sustain it. Experts will offer practical insights for public media to make the transition from “emergency donors” to sustainable, long-term “vendors.” We will include special attention to a new technology soon available to broadcasters and consumers, NextGen Television. This exciting new technology marries over-the-air broadcasting with the internet, and it will be a powerful new way to reach all kids, including those without broadband access.
Moderated by John Lawson, President of Convergence Services, Inc.
Key Learning Objectives:
- Learn strategies for making the transition from “free” to fee-based education services delivered to local school districts.
- Understand pathways for public broadcasters to collaborate with their local education agencies – recipients of 90% of CARES Act funding – and the state education agencies that will set rules for how funds are spent.
- Gain greater awareness of NextGen TV and how it can revolutionize public media education services.
- Get briefed on exciting real-world projects for disadvantaged and other students: NextGen broadcasting of Cloud-based education apps are providing low-cost ATSC 3.0 “gateways” that receive educational content and rebroadcast it to any Wi-Fi enabled device.
- Hear ideas for the major new role that public media can play in developing the next generation of digital citizens.
- Explore other funding opportunities, including infrastructure outlays and private spectrum-sharing arrangements.
Meet the Panelists
- Richard Culatta, CEO, ISTE
- Susi Elkins, Director of Broadcasting and GM of WKAR
- Tonya Crum, Senior Director of Education, KET
- Jim DeChant, VP of Technology, NPG Broadcasting Company
This webinar is an exclusive benefit for NETA and AWARN members only.
*Please reach out to Anya Shetler, firstname.lastname@example.org, to request an invitation for non-members.